Many Indian families have their own recipe for this popular dish. While most versions are mild and flavorful, this one pays special attention to the spices, so it won’t be too hot for young palettes—and it’s a surefire winner with kids.
Indian Tandoori Chicken
"This is an authentic recipe for Tandoori chicken. Serve with long grain Basmati rice, cucumber salad, grilled veggies, roasted corn on the cob and finish off the meal with Kulfi (Indian ice cream)."
Write a review
1 hr 45 min
1 hr 45 min
- Chicken Whole - 1 lb For 130 INR
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
- Remove skin from chicken pieces, and cut slits into them lengthwise. Place in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and lemon juice. Set aside 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper. Mix until smooth. Stir in yellow and red food coloring. Spread yogurt mixture over chicken. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours (the longer the better).
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink and juices run clear. Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.
- Cook's Notes:- This dish can also be baked in a hot oven (450 degrees F) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Tip:- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.